Sunday, April 14, 2013

Well, Isn't life funny?
And as I write that, please note the overlying tone of absolute disgust and sarcasm.


I have my kitchen  project going and I finally made the decision to go with a very basic Ikea cabinet.
I don't care for any sort of decoration on the surface of the cabinet doors, and I love the interior fittings on the basic Ikea cabinets. They  {Serbian guy and Dreadlock guy} came to measure and organize what cabinet can go where and how I can get the most out of the small space.  I thought about what it most important, and realized that the counters are more important than the cabinets. And even more important than the counter is the back splash. So I decided to spend my money on those. Remember, this is a Disney year so I am on a mad dash to save money for both the kitchen and the Orlando trip.


This is as close to what I want as I can find. I want a much funkier counter, back splash, and haven't found a cabinet 'pull' that I like yet..The floor is just what I want!


I won't be able to do the back splash or the lighting or the flooring right now. I just don't have the cash yet. I can get the cabinets and countertops done and each month put some aside for completing it. The way I figure, I will use my tax return money next year to put in the dream back splash, flooring, and lighting...
You can't tell here, but this is super sparkly when the under cabinet lighting hits it..Sparkle. All about the sparkle..

I haven't nailed down the countertops yet..It will be one of these two..Both are sort of sparkly. Yes, kitchens need sparkle. It diverts the eye away from the tv dinners and microwaved deserts..


I have thought about doing a wallpaper back splash for now.  Cause the glass subway tiles won't buy themselves. I found this and think it would be cute for a year or so..







And then we come to this week..


My AC has always been wonky. It really never worked correctly. I have had it serviced and each year the little tubes/pipes on the unit outside develop little icicles and it shuts down. Then I pour hot water over them to melt the ice. This gives us just enough cool air to get through the night.  Then it starts all over again. I have never really cared to fix the AC because of the expense of it all. AND we always leave for the entire summer. By the time we would get home from my dad's beach house, the weather would be brutal for a month or so, and then fall would come along just in time to save us..

And now this.

In the Northeren Virginia area the weather has already hit brutal. Last week there was a 90 degree day. IN APRIL. Are ya kidding me? And guess what? MY AC FINALLY DIED. LIKE REALLY DIED...Not the frozen popsicle kind of died, but the whole unit stopped running. It made a sad little humming noise and that was it..

But guess what? The little nest egg I put away for my kitchen cabinets will just barely cover the cost of a new AC unit...Great, just effing great. Now I gotta figure out if I want to have a room suitable for cooking or if I want to spend the summer in my own personal bikram yoga experience.. Sometimes I just have to laugh at my own misfortune.

Thankfully this weekend was cooler than earlier in the week..And having the windows open made it quite nice. But, I know what's coming, and it ain't pretty..So I have a decision to make. My heart is just broken that I can't do the kitchen. But totally happy I don't have to beg the cash off my parents to do the AC..Times like this, I wish I had the kind of job that pays for overtime, and compensates for achievement, offers Christmas bonuses..You know, a real job.

Ok..I can't think about it anymore. I jokingly said I was going to put a paypal button on my Facebook page to see if people would fund my lavish lifestyle..Now, maybe I should put one here. I could really use the extra money, and Momma doesn't want to hit the corner for it! HAHAHAH

Have a great week ya'll..Next week is the Embassy party and I might just be bringing Dadushka..Can't wait to share the details..I am sure there will be press there..

1 comment:

Annie said...

Oh....I am SOOOOO envious! I'd LOVE an IKEA kitchen!