Monday, February 25, 2013

I wish...

I could tell you more about my job. The good parts.
The parts where the children do the most precious amazing things. And say the most amazing things. Of course I can tell you about them, but if I could show you there picture, and give you their names, it would all make more sense..

I will say again, that this year's class is different. Although there are many who came to me speaking ZERO English, all are speaking now. I have children from Pakistan, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Bolivia, Ecuador, and more. They are the most "Typical" group I have had in a while. As in, they are ready to learn, ready to listen, and little. They are not a fast group. They are not socially aware of things they shouldn't be aware of. They slip everyday and call my momma..At least once a week, every week, one little guy brings me flowers. He actually uses one of his dollars at the Dollar Store to buy my a bundle of silk flowers. I have kept them on my table, and honestly the arrangement is now HUGE!

When I close my classroom door, I am the happiest. I dread reading emails as someone is going to tell me what additional test we need to do. Tell me what other form we need for data purposes. It's really sad. Because what the schools are doing now is trying to make it look good on paper. And it kills me. After 22 years, I know what children need. I know how to direct my instruction to those who may struggle. But now, we assume we need to do that sort of intervention for every child. And we don't. We have so many children in the class that just need time..Time to hear the info over and over. Time to practice. Time to let it all soak in. Not more tests..

Anyway, My sweeties are on my mind today. I enjoyed last week so much. I just wish I could show you pictures so you would see what I get to see everyday! I tell me students not to bring me candy because I will be "Fat Like Santa Clause". Friday, one student brought a little candy for himself and said in his little broken English, " Ms. Green, Imma eat all my candy and be sooo fat like Santa Clause!"  They listen to everything I say! God Love 'Em!

1 comment:

Tina in CT said...

It sounds like a class of little sweeties and that makes up for all the administrative red tape.