Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Grands are Not Well

My mom went to her vascular surgeon yesterday and all the news was bad..  Both of her carotid arteries are occluded. BOTH. She had the surgery just a few years ago, but sadly didn't stop smoking and kept her diet basically the same. So now, we are back to step one, except worse. The doctor told her that her body is finding ways to get blood to her brain, but she is dizzy a lot, and has very little strength when she stretches her arms out..
She will see another doctor next week. But honestly, I want to throw up about it.
Today at school I was asking our secretary about the possibilities,{She is an RN}and out of no where, I burst into tears. And then that thing happened. The thing where my lips and chin area go sort of numb and tingly and my heart feels like it is going to beat out of my chest, yet when I touch my chest my heart is not even pounding. I sat down at my table, and put my head between my legs and took slow breaths. It lasted for about an hour. Since I started my day in tears, I was on the edge of more tears during this "thing." I felt very shaky and thought that I would pass out MANY times this morning. There is nothing wrong with me. I had a million tests a few years ago. Brain scans, blood work, EEG's, X-rays, and Nothing. At the time my doctor felt like it was anxiety and I didn't believe him. Today, I am leaning towards considering, that this MAY be an accurate diagnoses..

All I could do today was feel nervous and worried.

Then I came home and my mom said my dad is in the hospital..
He has been having more and more episodes of Atrial fibrillation lately. He packed his truck to come up here and really overdid it. His hear rhythm converted with medication this afternoon, but the doctor at the hospital is keeping him over night. His cardiac enzyme study showed elevated levels which is sometimes an indication of the onset of a heart attack.

I begged my dad  to NOT drive here tomorrow. He is stopping in north Florida at my uncle's house and says he will spend the night. I begged him to also spend the night midway between north Florida and Virginia. He usually drives from Virginia to South Florida in one shot! Crazy I know..

So today I am a ball of sad and worried nerves. Thank goodness my students are eager little beavers and keep me moving all day.
Say a little prayer for my parents. They could use it!

3 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Oh, I am so sad to read this. I know how close you are with your parents. Hopefully surgery will help your mother and she'll see the light to make changes. As for your father, I hope he follows your advice about the drive. I thought he was working outside of the States. I hope their health improves. As for your troubles, sure sounds like anxiety. With what you are dealing with concerning your parents, it's not easy. Sending good wishes and hugs. Right now I have my SIL and his family in my hearts as his father's health is seriously dangerous. My SIL is flying from Moscow to CO as I type to be with his dad.

julian said...

Tina,
I have been reading about your SIL's dad on Facebook. SoSad.
My dad is home from Lebanon but is going back in the summer. I am sure I won't go overseas, as I can't be that far from my folks. I know it must be hard for your daughter and SIL to be so far..
Thanks for the well wishes!!!

Tina in CT said...

Hopefully your father made the trip up from FL to your place safely. Where is he living now that he's sold his FL condo? Hope he changes his mind about returning to Lebanon this summer.

Wishing your parents good health.

My SIL has been home in CO since Wed. night. Yes, it's very hard for them being so far away. And hard on us grandparents.