Sunday, October 6, 2013

Still Learning

Can you remember back to the time where you were a teenager and your parents made you sick? Literally, sick. The sound of my mother's voice could send my into a tyrannical rage. I usually heard it early on a Saturday morning. Screaming at me to gather the dirty dishes from my room. To gather the dirty laundry..I would squeeze the pillow tightly around my ears and beg that she would somehow magically, miraculously drop dead in the kitchen. And I could sleep. Alone in my filthy teenage bedroom...

And now, at 45 I am ever so thankful to hear my parents voice. Everyday hearing my mom. And almost as much, hearing my dad..And after all this time, I enjoy their company. I enjoy listening to their crazy Republican political opinions. I love hearing each of them in their own way try to guide me through the difficult life decisions I make for my girlz and for myself..
They have been true to me. True to their job title. They are parents. Not my friends, not my equal, but my mom and dad. I can only offer, "yes ma'am and No Sir" as an homage to the respect I feel for them. At my age, they know they can't tell me what to do, only encourage..

But what I have learned over the past couple of years, is that they haven't let me down. And they have helped me tremendously. They have reached out to help others, simply because it was for me. For that I thank them both.

I have made some pretty serious choices in relationships that were not only dangerous and hurtful, but predictable. As both of my parents tried to teach me from a young age, "You really should help people, but not to the extent it will hurt you." And it seems that most of the time, I have done that very thing. I have put myself behind a decision that only ended up hurting. BUT, the practical side of me has never let it hurt too deeply.


Most of the time I have seen crazy coming..But I don't always remember:
"When someone shows you who they are, Believe Them.." But I am learning....

1 comment:

Annie said...

Love this! Yes; I can remember being SO mad at my parents...yelling "I hate you!" and believing it. And I had the BEST parents any child could EVER have.