Sunday, August 11, 2013

September Schedules...What's a Mom to do?

I have been on Facebook seeing lots and lots of "classes" that our little ones are involved in lately and it has me thinking, "What's the point?"
Our kids for the most part may have some level of talent in one area or another, but are they really going to be the next Sara Mearns of the NYCBallet? Probably not. Are they so talented in soccer that they will make the Olympic team? Yeah, I am thinking no to that one too..
So all of this taxiing we do and all of this stress we have to get our children to the places they belong, "Is it worth it?" Most kids will end their lessons when finishing high school, so why do it all now? Why not spend that time and money on something that will carry them through adulthood? Hmmm, but what is an activity that will hold them that long? What can a child begin now, that will be useful as an adult?   I darn sure know, it Ain't tap lessons...

I watch a lot of Youtube videos, and what I have learned is that when a child is so self determined, so inwardly driven to do "insert activity" they will do it. They will practice alone when no one is watching. They will be ready and early for the drive. They will live for that activity. And are our kids truly "living" for the activities we put them in? For the most part, I know my girlz love dance. They don't LOVE ballet, but enjoy the fun they have with others. If I had my way, they would only take ballet. I mean really, how many times have you seen a tap dance ANY where except when your child is taking it? What could that tap class possibly teach your child that can extend to another activity..? As you can tell, I loathe tap class. It annoys me.

A new children's gym has opened by my house, and I would love for my girlz to join in there. Anna needs to swim so that she can drop some weight, and August is showing an interest in basketball. I have to look into it as I don't want to add anything rigid to our schedule..

So I wonder today, are there any Science clubs or Math teams out there? That would serve a purpose.  Are there any Computer Teams out there that can teach my girlz to program?

On another note, we have been learning Russian together as a family. We have a CD program and it's fun and easy and we do it in the car. The girlz love it when they can put a Russian word into everyday conversation. We are just beginning but like it none the less.

I am going to go to the new gym down the road today to see what programs they have. It is so close we could almost walk there!

1 comment:

Annie said...

Isn't it a struggle to figure it out? When is some activity worth the stress it causes in travel, time and money (plus the loss of whatever else they would have been doing)?

I think we do need to help kids find a variety of activities that might appeal to them - if they only had the chance to experience them! Especially when they are young and rely on you to introduce them to things. And, you never know how something may pan out later. Both my older children took ice skating class when they were the ages of your girls. No particular interest - yet years later Aidan fell in love, first with roller hockey and now he is playing ice hockey as an adult! I wouldn't have expected that, but I'm glad we did those early lessons. Lydia's Irish friend invited her to Irish dance lessons - apparently ALL Irish children take these lessons by definition. Well, she had a free ride, it was convenient and cheap - why not? Who was to know she would absolutely fall in love with it AND be talented? She is not dancing now, but fully expects HER children to dance - and that was an activity that truly enhanced our family life and culture. So much so that I had all the Russians take Irish dance when they came.... No. Nothing happening there, unfortunately. Maybe Monnie?

Church was both important to me and convenient - so the kids did every church related thing going, and those were valuable. Those activities had such great payback in terms of good friends, skill building, and comfort with presenting in front of groups (to say nothing about connecting them more firmly with our Faith community).

The worries are that you are missing something your child would be stellar at. I never had too much trouble dropping things that weren't lighting anyone's fire. (Ballet, swimming, the ice skating, gymnastics...)

Now with the Russian kids it is harder because there are so many of them! You can't run everywhere, so we offer, try, then only go where the heart is. Anastasia seems happiest doing crafts at home and learning via books or the internet. Zhen loves basketball. Sergei is all about youtube tutorials. Maxim is suddenly, at 20, totally dedicated to martial arts. He's the one who "burdens" me most with rides....but where there is enthusiasm - it's worth it.

Your criteria of kids working on things themselves has applied to Irish dance for both the older two, crafts for Nastia, the technology stuff for Sergei and martial arts for Maxim. I think that IS a good thing to look for!