Saturday, May 11, 2013

Thank You Mystery Reader, Thank You!

Friday was an odd day. And if I had a better word for it, I would use it. But for now, I am sticking with Odd..

For a variety of reasons, I found the need to go back and read all of my entry's on this blog. All of them. Additionally, I was presented with the thought that maybe, just maybe, there may be information on my personal blog that could be inflammatory, or offensive to others. Namely, my coworkers. Huh? You ask. Yeah, I asked that too..

So in light of that information, I decided to re-read EVERY single entry on my Facebook page as well. YES, every single entry where I posted a link to this blog. And I gotta tell you, I disagree with whoever wrote that I have a consistent pattern of posting "Unprofessional" entries on this blog.. I also think that person might be a wee bit self centered to assume that anything written here is about anyone in particular. When I have written about my job, it is in the most general sense. It is mostly about the shifts in focus that ALL schools in general have  ascribed to.. And the most important point, the key to this is, this is not about MY JOB, this blog is about me. Teaching is my job, it is not the whole of who I am. I am a mother through adoption. I am a daughter, a sister, and a cousin. I am friend, a Church goer. I am a home owner and a pet owner. I am lots of things. This blog is mine, and mine alone. I don't post to get responses, I pots to clear my head. To remember. To smile, and to cry.]B  U  T  :
If you have any confusion about it,
Let me be clear:

DON"T READ MY BLOG IF YOU FIND IT OFFENSIVE. DON"T COMPLAIN ABOUT MY BLOG IF YOU DON"T LIKE WHAT IT SAYS. HERE IS A THOUGHT, WRITE YOUR OWN BLOG TO COUNTER ANY POSITIONS I MAY REFERENCE THAT YOU DISAGREE WITH..

I don't mention my school. It doesn't appear anywhere. I only mention specific situations that deal with ME. Uhmm, Hello? This is my blog. And the only way to find it, is if you know I have it. Parents won't see it. Believe me, I spent last night Googlin' myself to see if anyone out there could happen upon it..So clearly, the person who is so concerned with the content of my personal blog is someone that I have shared the address with. And although I am 80% confident that I know who is was, I being very careful about this. 

Now, about being professional. By definition:

Definition
The main criteria for professionals include the following:
  1. Expert and specialized knowledge in field which one is practising professionally.[7]
  2. Excellent manual/practical and literary skills in relation to profession.[8]
  3. High quality work in (examples): creations, products, services, presentations, consultancy, primary/other research, administrative, marketing, photography or other work endeavours.
  4. A high standard of professional ethics, behaviour and work activities while carrying out one's profession (as an employee, self-employed person, career, enterprise, business, company, or partnership/associate/colleague, etc.). The professional owes a higher duty to a client, often a privilege of confidentiality, as well as a duty not to abandon the client just because he or she may not be able to pay or remunerate the professional. Often the professional is required to put the interest of the client ahead of his own interests.
  5. Reasonable work morale and motivation. Having interest and desire to do a job well as holding positive attitude towards the profession are important elements in attaining a high level of professionalism.
  6. Appropriate treatment of relationships with colleagues. Consideration should be shown to elderly, junior or inexperienced colleagues, as well as those with special needs. An example must be set to perpetuate the attitude of one's business without doing it harm.
  7. A professional is an expert who is a master in a specific field.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Wiki Resourced

To be clear, I would remove all definitions from this situations with the exception of
Number 4
Number 5
Number 6

I will start with Number 6. I question the motives of the "higher ups" as I am on the front lines and if not those who are being asked to implement policies and procedures, who will ask these questions. If best practices are sought, then rigorous questioning should be reflected against the overall effectiveness of a program/idea/methodology. I am upfront at meetings. I am honest with my colleagues, and above all I go to the source when needed. You won't see me sending in queries about another colleagues motivations WITHOUT SIGNING MY NAME TO IT..

Number 5 is by far the most difficult to measure. We each define our level of positivity differently. Our morale can only me judged against our past experiences and with me, I question the level of morale across the county, heck even across the country. I attended the "Town Hall Meeting" with the school board, so I can personally attest to the low level of morale. And when I question it, I don't do it to complain. I do it to try and wrap my thoughts into a method to MAKE IT BETTER.

And Now Number 4. After reading this several times, my focus has come to rest on the section that deals with confidentiality. (Which is why I re-read my own blog)
I have to think that the person who is overly concerned with my blog is the type who assumes they are at the center of my opinions. They seem to feel attached to the idea that my blog is about what THEY do. Let me make it clear right now, any reference to my job is a reflection to MY feelings about the changes in educational policy as well as the shift in the overall devaluing of student-teacher relationships with a more primary focus on testing data. I am not breaking confidentiality when I say that. You may be perfectly comfortable with what you are doing. I am not.

Should I give too much concern for Wiki's ideology of professionalism? No. My own district measures our professionalism.
Due to Obvious Reasons, I don't want to reference my county, let's just assume I copied this directly for the web page that discusses our evaluation process.


Performance Standard 6:  Professionalism

Performance Standard 6:  Professionalism The teacher maintains a commitment to professional ethics, communicates effectively, and takes responsibility for and participates in professional growth that results in enhanced student learning. Key Elements Examples may include, but are not limited to:

The teacher: 
 6.1 Complies with federal and state laws and school and division policies; models professional and ethical standards.
6.2 Ensures the confidentiality of information and privacy of students, families, colleagues, and administrators.
6.3 Establishes goals for improving one’s own/personal knowledge and skills and participates in professional growth opportunities to meet those goals.
6.4 Collaborates with colleagues within and across content areas and grade levels.
6.5 Collaborates with colleagues to develop consistent policies and procedures that create a school culture conducive to learning.
 6.6 Collaborates, communicates, and works in partnership with students, families, administrators, and colleagues within the school community to promote student learning at school and support student learning at home.
6.7 Effectively uses standard oral and written English in all communications


As I reviewed the areas, sure there a places where I am still "developing" as a teacher. I won't point out those areas, as they are not relevant to THIS blog post. But please know, that I am in a constant state of "wait, when is that due??" But I am working on it. There are many other areas that my county measures, and this is only one. When I comes to Instructional Delivery or  Learning Environment, I will no doubt rate myself in the top. I love teaching little nuggets, and making their school world a fun, loving, and engaging place to be.
As I earlier stated, someone feels very connected to my blog, and has taken it to the top shall we say. For me, that is in direct opposition to Collaborating with Colleagues.
It's reactionary. And it's probably one of the underlying reasons why teacher's morale is sliding. It's that life approach where someone has too much time to worry about what someone else is doing. How about you do your job, and get off my back. How about you come To Me.
I am pretty clear about what is important at my job. I need to laugh, I need to teach lessons, I need to give kindness to little ones, I need to impart manners and thoughtfulness, I need to have a routine. And I don't need this for me, I need this because that is what works in the classroom where I TEACH...You know that saying, "If Momma is not happy, No One is Happy?"  It kind of applies to teachers too.

I want to close out this entry today, and never think about it again. My hope is that if you have a problem with what I write, you will understand it is about how I FEEL. You will see that this is not an advertised blog with specifics.


My opinions are shared here as a tool for me to work through my thoughts, anxieties, pressures, and worries. I am pretty sure we encourage our students to WRITE WRITE WRITE and as a model, I do it too. It's  not a place for you to gather dirt on me. This is the 2nd time I have had to explain what I have put out on social media,  on my personal time. And if there is a 3rd, I will know that harassment is involved, and I will protect myself. I have rights.  I will not be intimidated by anyone. So please leave me alone. Don't read my blog.. 


But I want to thank you more than anything.

I want to thank you for giving me a reason to back through my blog. I have forgotten so many amazing things that have happened in my life. I have forgotten so many magical moments that the GreenGirlz have shared. And so as not to BORE my friends who have adopted,

IMMA SHARE SOME CUTENESS!!!!







2 comments:

Tina in CT said...

I don't blame you for being upset. I read your blog and it's about you, your feelings, etc. I also agree that the person who commented should not read it.

julian said...

Tina, They didn't just comment, they printed a page of my blog and took it to my boss..I was so upset about it. This blog is not a place to complain,but where I get my thoughts out..My bosses were great about it. But wanted me to be protective of it. I never wanted to them to read about my silliness that I do with my girlz..I prefer to keep that separate. That is why I am not friends with them on Facebook..What I am most upset about is that this is the 2nd time someone has complained about me..The first time I posted student pics on Facebook. I thought they were private, (So I could print them at home) My phone was new and I thought they were UP in private mode..But instead of emailing me, they told on me..Luckily my other friend called me right away and told me they were out there. Also luckily I was almost home and took them down within half an hour! It really feels like someone is paying too much attention to me just so they can hurt me! BTW, how is your baby girl?