Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sprinkles

Today the weather turned. It happens every year. And I can always pinpoint when it happens. It's a day at the end of the summer when there is a crisp edge to the morning. I can usually smell someone cooking something and although it is not cold, it's enough of a change to make me take notice.. And when it happens, I usually wax sentimental about my life..You see, there is no fall in Florida where I grew up. The leaves don't change color. And there is no chance of snow..

I adore the fall..So many happy memories. Both adoptions were finalized during this time of year, so naturally those memories come flooding back when I notice the weather changes. I can't quite explain the feeling of joy that comes along with knowing that you about to travel around the world to have a baby. I am sure anyone who adopts understands..

And that comes to what I wanted to share. How long have you felt grateful to Russia about an international adoption?
 
I have said this before, but I chose to adopt internationally so that I wouldn't have to deal with any chance of a birth mother changing her mind.  I also didn't want everyone to know that I adopted. But I end up talking and sharing every detail of my adoptions anyway. Of coarse I realize gratitude for our children is forever, but how long does adoption stay the focus of who our children are?
Through my attempts to work in Russia, I realized that my girlz don't really care much about Russia. They aren't really one way or the other about it.. The girlz don't really identify with being Russian..As much as I have tried to sprinkle our lives with Russian  touches, it ends up that sprinkles are all that the girlz really require..Because they just want to be little girlz who go to ballet and dance, play in the yard, act silly, and never clean their messes..
 
I have always wanted to "give back" and pay my respect to good ole Mother Russia but at close to 9 years on, I feel like there is not a lot left to give. So I ask any adoptive families, do you still sprinkle your lives with Russian Appreciation or are you over it?


No comments: