Sunday, July 8, 2012

Florida

So after a 2 day drive, we made it to Florida. I have to say, my girlz are awesome travelers. I have this lil system of putting those fabric shopping bags around the headrests and I fill them with treats and books and little crafty things they can do in the car. And it works!
We didn't have one argument the whole two days in the car. Again, my girlz love to travel so they are in their bestest of moods. Me, on the other hand. I wanted to pull over at every rest stop, truck stop, or Welcome station and sleep or cry..

I found out once I got here that I didn't get the transfer to the school I wanted. It was hard to be upset. Starring at the ocean with my girlz in the sea sort of takes the sting out of it.  I sent my resume to one final school for a last ditch effort to try and get a school closer to my home. I have no faith in the transfer system, but again, there is the whole ocean, pool, sunshine that is keeping my hopes in a different place. Having less drama in my life has made a world of good. I have focused on the 2 little girlz in my heart and put the rest of the world out of my mind.

Anni's birthday is tomorrow. My blessed lil one will be 9. My mom always says the time is flying by. But for me, it isn't. I try very hard to "sit" in the moments and allow them to linger. Although it's been 8 years since Anni came home, she is still that same lil' bald headed baby to me. She makes the same expressions and even has the same giggle she had as an infant. Her heart is still the same. She is empathetic and caring, as well as silly and smart. She is not a typical big sister in that she doesn't take control and try to boss AugustRose. I love her so! This year she didn't have a birthday party. We are finally doing the thing she has wanted to do for years. Swimming with the dolphins. Our family reunion is in St. Augustine and Marine Land is there. So we will be doing that as Anni's special treat this year.

Florida is so good for my soul. Everything I am not during the school year, I can be during the summer. I make hot breakfasts and lunches. I read every night to the girlz. This summer we have added an exercise routing into our day. We wall to the beach each morning, and take a fast paced stroll along the sand before we get into the ocean..I am trying to lose at least ten pounds just being more active. Anni is getting too chubby in her tummy so I want her to get a little more fit. She has it tough being a vegetarian. She eats veggies but adds the dreaded CHEESE to everything so her food intake is full of calories. We are adding a 3rd dance class next year to get her into better shape so that will help.
We are working on AugustRose's patience and confidence this summer. She has so many "worries" and I cringe every time I hear her say, "Can I have one too?"  And this applies to almost everything. I give Anni a snack, and before I can put August's down, she asks for one..Somehow she has lost the feeling of absolute security. She must feel like I may not give to her what I give to Anni. My dad and I were talking and it's weird that she would be this way, because Anni always gives into her when there is a battle to "have" something. AugustRose always seems to get her way. So we are working on her understanding fairness and patience.. Summer is the perfect time for that kind of refresher..

We finished our first read a loud, and now we are well into Cricket in Times Square. The girlz love it since they know so much about NYC. It is one of my all time favorite children's books. Last night we had a night time swim, and we did our read a loud there. It is amazing to do this for my own girlz.

We had an amazing 4th of July. We went down to the beach and set up our spot and hung out. We brought snacks and drinks and walked the beach with dolphins in the ocean the whole time. My dad was so happy to be with us. It is becoming my favorite holiday. No gifts to buy, no big fancy meals. Just family and snacks on the sand and a great fireworks show at the end.









No comments: