Saturday, November 10, 2012

Thumbs Up!

We were at the dentist repairing a cavity, and pulling a tooth so that Anna's mouth can be prepped for braces. The dentist asked if she sucked her thunb. I tol her, "OF course not, she sucks her fingers." Then she announced that she could put an appliance in her mouth that would keep her from sucking her fingers. She might as well said, I will torture your child and make her eat bugs for years! I will not, ever, make my child stop sucking her fingers. It relaxes her. It was her coping mechanism at the baby home, and I could never jump in and try to take away the one thing she can control about her own relaxation techniques.. It's the same with AugustRose, she sucks her thumb, but I won't make her stop either. Both girls have eased up how much they suck their fingers. It has happened naturally. When Anna was getting her tooth pulled and the doctor was speaking about the appliance for stopping her sucking her fingers, Anna lifted her thumb up and gave me the FONZ, "Aaaaayyyyyy!"

2 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Should you consider delaying braces until she stops sucking her fingers?

I was a thumb sucker as a young child. I did it when I was curled up with one of our cats or dogs and patting them.

julian said...

Oh Tina, we won't be ready for braces for a while..She had one tooth pulled, and needs to lose several others..She was under the nitrous so we went with it..